First time goer to Leeds Festival 2011, help.

ClockworkOwen19
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
First time goer to Leeds Festival 2011, help. - 26 April 2011 21:54
Hey all,
I am considering going to Leeds festival 2011 for the first time for the weekend, and just wanted to ask a few questions. I know I'm going to sound a bit of a dweeb asking the first question so I am going to get it out of the way.
I understand the entry to the campsite for standard weekend ticket holders is 3am on Thursday 25th August but I am going to be travelling for over 3 hours, so I won't arrive until a little later, when do the gates close for entry? I am not worried about getting to the campsites closest to the arena as I would prefer getting a site where it is mainly quiet, and by reading posts, it sounds as if Brown or Green campsite would be best suited for me, is that correct? I know that the Brown campsite is quite a trek from the arena but I don't mind walking.
What food can I take into the campsite, is there anything that is not permitted? Are such things such as camping stoves and disposable BBQ's allowed in?
I will be coming in by train so how do I get to the festival from the station, is there a bus service or do I have to catch a taxi and how much are they likely to be?
Are there maps of the campsite available online, or do I have to wait to pick one up from the festival grounds themselves?
How do I know what time each band is performing, are you given a programme or a paper sheet explaining such things?
And the last question I would like to ask, is how early can I leave on Monday 29th? I know the festival closes at midday but can I leave earlier if I wanted to? Are there are buses available all day to drop off people at the station or would I have to get a taxi back?

Any help would be much appreciated.

domdomdom
  • Total Posts : 11824
Re:First time goer to Leeds Festival 2011, help. - 27 April 2011 00:39
ClockworkOwen19

Hey all,
I am considering going to Leeds festival 2011 for the first time for the weekend, and just wanted to ask a few questions. I know I'm going to sound a bit of a dweeb asking the first question so I am going to get it out of the way.
I understand the entry to the campsite for standard weekend ticket holders is 3am on Thursday 25th August but I am going to be travelling for over 3 hours, so I won't arrive until a little later, when do the gates close for entry? I am not worried about getting to the campsites closest to the arena as I would prefer getting a site where it is mainly quiet, and by reading posts, it sounds as if Brown or Green campsite would be best suited for me, is that correct? I know that the Brown campsite is quite a trek from the arena but I don't mind walking.
What food can I take into the campsite, is there anything that is not permitted? Are such things such as camping stoves and disposable BBQ's allowed in?
I will be coming in by train so how do I get to the festival from the station, is there a bus service or do I have to catch a taxi and how much are they likely to be?
Are there maps of the campsite available online, or do I have to wait to pick one up from the festival grounds themselves?
How do I know what time each band is performing, are you given a programme or a paper sheet explaining such things?
And the last question I would like to ask, is how early can I leave on Monday 29th? I know the festival closes at midday but can I leave earlier if I wanted to? Are there are buses available all day to drop off people at the station or would I have to get a taxi back?

Any help would be much appreciated.

The gates don't close for entry, once theyre open they're open until the monday so you can come and go as you please.

Yup Brown is the advised family campsite and it is the quietest and furthest away, green is the second furthest away and is still quite quiet. So either would probabl;y be fine to be honest.

From the station you can get a taxi (be pretty expensive), or you can get the shuttle bus which will be cheaper. The shuttle bus drops off at yellow though, which is the closest campsite to the arena and therefore the furthest from brown, so you would have quite a large trek with all your kit, I can't really think of a way around it though as a taxi will be pretty expensive.

things allowed in: you're allowed to take any food you want in but glass and gas cannisters are not allowed. So cooking options are meths, trangia stoves and bbq's I think.

Maps of the campsite are available online, although one of the campsites is being split this year so another colour will be there, and the updated map won't be available for  a while.

Band tiumes arer generally released the week of the festival, you can buy a lanyard with all the times on at the festival (rip off) or you can print off the times before you go, all the campsite offices have copies of the times as well. People will make clashfinders avaiulable on the internet which will use last year's times as a guide before the real times are released.

Yup busses are available to go back to the station on all the days. The times are quite reasonable form what I rmemeber, I doubt the shuttle bus times have been released yet but theyll be similar to last years.

*edit, looked for last years but thge links dont seem to be working anymore, which is strange as I swear they worked a week or two ago, ah well it's not too important, busses will be available for when you want pretty much.

*edit 2. found 2009's, I'm not sure the campsite opened at 3am that year so you'll have to wait for this years before you see which times the busses start on the thursday.
http://2009.leedsfestival...etable%20X28.pdf 

<message edited by domdomdom on 27 April 2011 00:45>

ValeAdam
  • Total Posts : 4335
Re:First time goer to Leeds Festival 2011, help. - 27 April 2011 00:46
Hey Owen
1) I don't think the gates for entry to the campsite close at all throughout the weekend. Once you have your wristband you can leave the festival site whenever you please, also.
2) You are indeed correct in saying brown and green are the quieter campsites, and you'd have little to no issues getting a reasonable night's sleep there. I'd say from experience brown is roughly a brisk 15 minute or so walk away from the arena, but if you're heading back to your tent after the headliners it might take a good while longer due to the sheer volume of people. You should also be fine finding room for your tent throughout the day in brown and green, so you shouldn't worry about that.
3) With regards to things you can and can't take into the campsite, there's a full list here under "things you can and can't bring". The most important things are no glass bottles, no gas cookers and no aerosols over 250ml. Disposable BBQs are fine though, and a lot of people take them in.
4) There will be an arena map put onto the website a bit closer to the festival, similarly the stage times will be put up (and, if you're lucky, someone might make a clashfinder). You don't get anything like that for free onsite, I'm afraid. There's generally a lanyard for sale which will have all the times on, but they generally tend to cost £5 or £7, or are bundled with a programme for about £10. Pricey.
5) You can leave as early as you like, as I said before you can leave the campsite at any point over the weekend. There isn't any solid information about the shuttle buses that I can find at the moment, but they'll be running pretty regularly all of Monday morning.

Hope this helped.

ClockworkOwen19
Re:First time goer to Leeds Festival 2011, help. - 27 April 2011 07:41
Can you pay for your shuttle bus tickets in advance or do you buy them when you board on the day you arrive? Also a couple of things about the buses, do you pick up the shuttle buses to go to Tesco/railway station where they dropped you off, yellow was it? And I take it they go from the site to Tesco first and then onto the station or are there seperate shuttle buses for each destinton? Thanks for your help, sorry for the barrage of questions, just a lil nervy!
<message edited by ClockworkOwen19 on 27 April 2011 07:49>

lemonhed
  • Total Posts : 1400
Re:First time goer to Leeds Festival 2011, help. - 27 April 2011 08:54
Dont be nervy. The worst thing that will happen is you will die... Then it wont matter where the shuttle buses go! :P

LEEDS - 2000, 01, 02, 05, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11, 12
DOWNLOAD - 2007, 12
SLAM DUNK - 2011

ValeAdam
  • Total Posts : 4335
Re:First time goer to Leeds Festival 2011, help. - 27 April 2011 22:05
I don't really know a lot about the shuttle bus 'cause I've never got it, but if you go here and click "Shuttle bus services" on the right, there's all the information you could need :)

domdomdom
Re:First time goer to Leeds Festival 2011, help. - 27 April 2011 22:32
ClockworkOwen19

Can you pay for your shuttle bus tickets in advance or do you buy them when you board on the day you arrive? Also a couple of things about the buses, do you pick up the shuttle buses to go to Tesco/railway station where they dropped you off, yellow was it? And I take it they go from the site to Tesco first and then onto the station or are there seperate shuttle buses for each destinton? Thanks for your help, sorry for the barrage of questions, just a lil nervy!

I don't think you can buy the tickets in advance, you buy them from a booth just outside where you'll catch the bus OR you can buy them from the tourist info/souvenir shop at the train station. If you buy them from the train station you can then bypass the queue for the tickets and go straight to where you catch the bus. It is a seperate shuttle bus route between the station and the campsite, and the campsite and tesco.
Don't worry about asking questions, that's the whole point of this section! Asking them early is a good idea as I swear I come back from the festival every year and theres loads of unanswered questions from people asking late on tuesday, on the wednesday and onwards, which is when most of us are already at the festival.

ClockworkOwen19
Re:First time goer to Leeds Festival 2011, help. - 28 April 2011 08:01
I have decided to go by National Express coaches as it seems easier and slightly cheaper, I will still aim to use the shuttle buses to get to Tesco and back. I am a little nervous being my first festival but as Muse once said 'Don't waste your time, or time will waste you.'

In other words, I have booked my weekend camping tickets for Leeds festival 2011!

Thanks for all your help, and I will see you guys there, probably.
<message edited by ClockworkOwen19 on 28 April 2011 08:03>

domdomdom
Re:First time goer to Leeds Festival 2011, help. - 09 May 2011 14:30
Some more people have put their thoughts in here:
http://forums.leedsfestival.com/tm.aspx?m=1415623

I'll just keep that one open.