Festival Food - Some Ideas!

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 35
asulei

• Total Posts : 6244
  • Reward points : 0
Festival Food - Some Ideas! 19 June 2010 01:12 (permalink)
Careful not to disregard your food at a festival, if anything it becomes more important in keeping us in good spirits and adding to the overall experience! Save on your weight and put some money aside to try some of the local festival food – although choose wisely because the cost won’t always reflect the taste! Leeds often gets quite a bad name for its food in comparison to some other festivals, so make sure you have a good look around. Your standard meal schedule will undoubtedly suffer at a festival as getting caught up in the atmosphere forces us to cram as much in as possible. Don’t let food become a chore!

Packing light doesn't mean you have to sacrifice nutrition. Granted most of us won't be cooking gourmet meals but you don't need to live on dried food either. Some ideal festival food:

Fruit - A fresh piece of fruit tastes incredible on a festival morning. A few pieces won't be unnecessarily heavy. Dried fruit is also good - lighter and easy to carry on you if needs be, but less refreshing!

Tinned Foods - Tins are considered the ultimate evil in festival cuisine due to their weight. That being said you can get away with a few miniature tins or 1-2 large ones. If you're cooking things like pasta or rice; tins of sweetcorn or mixed veg. are a nice addition. The classics like 'all day breakfast' may also make an appearance.

Try to avoid hot dogs for example where the majority of the weight comes from the brine - which you're going to drain anyway, and are therefore carrying for nothing. Tinned fish specifically the likes of mackerel & sardines are fantastic - light, small, filling and nutritious.

Pasta & Noodles
- the most popular of festival food because of how light they are. Pasta 'n' sauces make good meals - but remember some will require milk and butter which are a no go unless you buy them fresh on site. Freezing some butter beforehand will last 3days max. depending on climate conditions. Pasta 'n' Sauces that require milk will cook fine without, but might not taste great.

If you're taking noodles, consider packs that require actual cooking as opposed to pot noodles where you just add water. Any product where you simply add water will always succumb to the flaw of being quite bulky in regard to space. Things like supernoodles or equivalent are nice and flat - you'll just be required to do a bit of washing. Other add-water items such as soups and SMASH are always light enough to bring along too.

A fair few will opt for M.O.D. ration packs – costing approximately £4.50 from a local “genuine army surplus” place they include pretty much everything for 24hours of nutrition and come in all shapes and sizes – I’ve seen vegetarian and halal packs before. Generally you get a Breakfast, Main Meal and Pudding, followed by additional sundries like chewing gum, hot chocolate powder, soup, sandwich spread, chocolate, biscuits, instant tea and coffee etc.

From my experience you never use everything in these packs. Whilst they are really ideal, my recommendation would be to open them up before you go and pick and choose the essentials, because they are quite heavy as they come. The meals are basically pre-cooked and vacuum packed (like a big tin but in a sachet basically) you just cut half the top of and heat it in boiling water, so they are clean and easy to use. Normally I buy two and then combine them with other foods. If you are eager to get these though then you should start shopping early, they sell out very quick in festival season!

Bring along a few Raw Meat items if you want to have a bit of a BBQ when you get there (providing the weather is okay!). It’s advisable to use these on the first day you are there though, because they will spoil quickly unless you have an efficient way of storing them. Think about weight and space too! Dried meats will last longer and might be handy to chop up and throw in your meals

- Sweets and chocolate are always a good pick me up, but too many and you may begin to feel sluggish and tired after a big sugar rush!

- A loaf of bread will generally come in handy and whilst they don’t always make it to the festival in one piece, the bread is good for dipping, spreading, sandwich-ing and generally soaking up whatever gets consumed.

- A little bit of cooking oil will come in handy for any food to be fried and will certainly make cleaning easier after.

- Quick fixes like cereal bars, savoury crackers, crisps, biscuits and nuts are good to bring along, and can be used as snacks on the move! Marshmallows are good if you have a fire going.

- Sauce sachets, salt and pepper etc. are good for those with certain eating habits or festival gourmet chefs. Pick a few up from a fast food outlet before you go!

As far as fluids go, the majority it is assumed, will be consuming an alcohol of choice but watch out for dehydration, make sure you drink plenty of water too, especially if it’s warm! Energy drinks such as Red Bull may lift your sleepless spirits so if you’re prone to burning the candle at both ends, pack a few of these. Bringing a small amount of neat squash is a good call to liven up water (and probably cider too).

After all that, don’t forget your Rennies and Alka Seltzer! Changing your diet at a festival may bring you heartburn, indigestion, stomach aches and unpleasant toilet scenarios – so bring whatever you need to cope. A few tablets don’t take up a lot of space and can be a life saver!

linuxt0m

• Total Posts : 72
    Re:Festival Food - Some Ideas! 10 August 2011 02:11 (permalink)
    I buy hot dogs in brine at pound land. You get 8 for £1. They don't go off due to being preserved, and even though they are somewhat heavy, you only need a jar all weekend. They can even be eaten cold for a quick fix or heated up.

Bread cakes for them are light and equally cheap, and any sauces can be put in a small tupa-ware box. I like to mix it up with different flavours of crisps too, or buy some chips there, and that forms the basis of my food at Leeds. I only then usually buy a meal a day for variety. 

It's safe, filling food and ridiculously cheap. You can eat half your meals all weekend from it for less than you'd pay for a single meal at the festival. 

I hope someone else finds this useful. I've lived off this for the last 3 or 4 years (: 
    "I love you so damn much; I’ll even start to pray.
    I’ll put my faith in all your bull**** if it means you’ll stay."

Scary New Dad

• Total Posts : 1082
      Re:Festival Food - Some Ideas! 17 August 2011 10:58 (permalink)
      My experience is that if you just stay really, really drunk the entire time you won't even get hungry.
      oh man this gets funnier and funnier with every sip of my coconut rum!!

Last Efemé                          Tweeter

areyouhopingforamiracle

• Total Posts : 9
        Re:Festival Food - Some Ideas! 21 August 2011 21:15 (permalink)
        what's the consensus with boiled water? should i just take a little stove and and a metal tin use some out of a bottle or is it available on site etc..

Damicksta2k

• Total Posts : 13566
          Re:Festival Food - Some Ideas! 21 August 2011 21:25 (permalink)
          If you want hot water you need to take a stove with you.  Water is available freely on site, but if you want to boil it you need to do it yourself.

Leeds '05/7/8/9/10 | Reading '06 | T in the Park '07 | Pinkpop '07 | Sweden Rock '07/8/9/13 | Sonisphere '09 | Glastonbury '10/14 | Download '11 | Bloodstock '13

Jennyisabutton

• Total Posts : 10
            Re:Festival Food - Some Ideas! 22 August 2011 00:43 (permalink)
            Will the food vans sell boiled water? Like a cuppa tea without the teabag. I really don't want to carry my bbq along this year

Simpo

• Total Posts : 224
              Re:Festival Food - Some Ideas! 22 August 2011 01:12 (permalink)
              They usually do that for you, yeah, but one thing nobody ever seems to realise is that they usually have free boiling water at the festival supermarket, just after the tills!

YourSpecsAreOnFire!

• Total Posts : 160
                Re:Festival Food - Some Ideas! 11 March 2012 17:18 (permalink)
                Can anyone use that water or do you have to buy a pot noodle in the supermarket?

asheerdrop

• Total Posts : 1265
                  Re:Festival Food - Some Ideas! 11 March 2012 19:16 (permalink)
                  Pretty sure you had to buy something that required it in the supermarket
                  Hiya, I'm Bethan. My profile picture is years outdated but I can't figure out how to get one to upload anymore xxx

Leeds '09-'12; 2000 Trees '13; Bloodstock '13; ArcTanGent '13; Damnation '13

Trebor

• Total Posts : 645
                    Re:Festival Food - Some Ideas! 12 June 2013 16:16 (permalink)
                    Apologies, I've asked this before and someone posted it and I cant find which thread it was in.  There was a 2012 food price list somewhere and I cant find the right place.

Considering a gel stove. I would normally just buy from the vans but money is a bit tight this year!!

lemonhed

• Total Posts : 1443
                      Re:Festival Food - Some Ideas! 12 June 2013 18:58 (permalink)
                      http://media.livenation.co.uk/fido/publishing/files/Reading%20%20Leeds%20Pricelist.pdf

That's the one I posted a bit back, but it still doesn't work for me! Let me know if it opens and if not I'll see what else I can find!

LEEDS - 2000, 01, 02, 05, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11, 12
                      DOWNLOAD - 2007, 12
                      SLAM DUNK - 2011

Trebor

Re:Festival Food - Some Ideas! 12 June 2013 19:31 (permalink)
                        Yeah that's the one, works ok for me. Cheers mate

Tr1dent

• Total Posts : 67
                          Re:Festival Food - Some Ideas! 12 June 2013 19:32 (permalink)
                          i right clicked and saved as, worked perfect! 

tripe

• Total Posts : 596
                            Re:Festival Food - Some Ideas! 12 June 2013 19:45 (permalink)
                            Prices went up last year - I budgeted £25 a day in the arena - that got me two meals and three drinks with all the legwork done in the campsite before going in
                            2014 - Frank Turner @ O2, Billy Lunn @ Herts Uni, The Subways @ The Horn,  Twin Atlantic @ The Boston Arms, Pure Love @ The Underground, Camden Rocks, The Bots @ The Old Blue Last, Truck Festival, Leeds Festival, Kasabian @ Brixton

_271296

• Total Posts : 8
                              Re:Festival Food - Some Ideas! 16 June 2013 12:50 (permalink)
                              Hey, I know these seems such a silly question. But how much, in your opinion should I be budgeting a day for food (not alcohol as I will be bringing my own), and please don't say I probably won't eat because I'll be drunk, because I eat more when I'm drunk hahah! I just want to be prepared, I don't want to go hungry! Thanks

Trebor

Re:Festival Food - Some Ideas! 16 June 2013 13:34 (permalink)
                                For food I am budgeting £25 per day, with the same for in the arena beer. 
                                £5 in the morning (tea and a sausage sarnie)
                                £6 for lunch
                                £6 for dinner
                                £5 late night snack
                                + £3 contingency for icecreams and that

tripe

• Total Posts : 596
                                  Re:Festival Food - Some Ideas! 16 June 2013 13:37 (permalink)
                                  you can get away with spending less if you take your own food with you - i tend to have bacon sarnies first thing and then try and have something else just before going down to the arenas. in theory you can then have an arena meal and then late night snack when you get back
                                  2014 - Frank Turner @ O2, Billy Lunn @ Herts Uni, The Subways @ The Horn,  Twin Atlantic @ The Boston Arms, Pure Love @ The Underground, Camden Rocks, The Bots @ The Old Blue Last, Truck Festival, Leeds Festival, Kasabian @ Brixton

Trebor

Re:Festival Food - Some Ideas! 16 June 2013 13:41 (permalink)
                                    I always go for the chilli wedge round the campfire option

_271296

• Total Posts : 8
                                      Re:Festival Food - Some Ideas! 16 June 2013 13:43 (permalink)
                                      Thanks, that's helped a lot! Bring on August!!!!

sFitz

• Total Posts : 2933
                                        Re:Festival Food - Some Ideas! 16 June 2013 15:27 (permalink)
                                        when i wake up i eat bits and bats that i have in my tent, usually a tin of beans or cereal bars. I then proceed to boil some water in my camping kettle and have a cup of tea (green) before heading to the arena. I buy lunch between £5 and £7 depending on the van i go to and a few beers during the day (around £16). I buy my dinner from a van whenever im not in the crowd and its later in the evening which is about £5 to £7 again. When i'm back at the campsite at night i just snack on a few bits and bats i have with me and drink the beer/spirits i bring.

Wednesday; £0 thanks to the boardie BBQ
                                        Thursday; £10 - £14 on food, spend about £10 on some supplies fromt he shop
                                        Friday, Saturday and Sunday; about £10 to £14 a day on food and £16 on beer

Usually spend about £115ish £130 max on food and drink over the weekend whilst there.

Leeds: 09, 10, 11, 12, 13  Sonisphere: 11  Download: 12 2000Trees: 12, 13  Bloodstock: 13  Hellfest: 13 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                          Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 35

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

If you find a bad forum post or account name that violates the Forums Code Of Conduct, you can report it here
                                          2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9